Purple Queen Anne's Lace
"Dara" Daucus carota
Gorgeously laced 3-5" umbels in shades of burgundy, lilac, mauve & white on long, strong stems perfect for cutting, adored by pollinators. Related to our native carrot, Queen Anne's Lace.
Direct sow (recommended)
- In early spring, after late frost, sow seeds directly in soil.
- Plant 1 seed 1/8" deep and 2" apart.
- Expect 2 weeks for germination.
- When seedlings are 2-3" tall, thin to 1 plant every 9-12".
- Support may be needed if fertility is high or if your garden is windy.
- Chill seed at 40 F 1-2 weeks prior to sowing 1/8" deep, 2 seeds per cell 4-5 weeks before planting out.
- Expect germination in 1-2 weeks.
- When first leaves appear, transplant into larger containers.
- Harden off & transplant with 9-12" between plants after last frost.
Care and Feeding
Plant in full sun. Expect 65-75 days to maturity. Dara has an exceptionally long vase life; harvest when 80% of an umbel's flowers are open & no pollen has shed. Enjoy 7-15 heads per plant on swaying 35-50" stalks.
- Purchase a good seed starting soil like Espoma Organic seed starting mix or Coast of Maine.
- Use a small greenhouse tray(tray with a clear plastic dome) to germinate your seeds.
- When it's time to transplant into the garden, use a fertilizer like Espoma Flower-tone or Espoma Plant-tone.
Need more information or gardening supplies? Contact your local independent garden center